How to study in Lyon

Ways to do things, tips, and everything you need to enjoy your student years in Lyon Métropole.

1. Enrolling in an establishment of higher education

Before enrolling, you need to choose which course of studies and professional pathway are the right ones for you. Here is our advice to help you get oriented.

Are you arriving in Lyon from another country? Here, you’ll find all the information you need to enroll and install yourself in the city. You can also go to the Student Welcome Desk, where you will receive guidance and help with your administrative formalities.

For your first enrollment in a university, an online procedure has been implemented. Connect to Parcoursup.

Among other things, you will need:

  • Your complete university file,
  • A copy of your ID card or passport,
  • Two ID photos,
  • Civil liability insurance,
  • A means of payment,
  • A photocopy of the CVEC document.

Please note

Every students must pay a student life and campus contribution (CVEC). It is required of all students undergoing initial training (except scholarship students, who are exonerated) before enrolling in an establishment of higher education. You must pay a total of €91 on the platform, starting July 1.

2. Formalities and useful information for studying in Lyon Metropole

3. Tips for getting the most out of student life in Lyon

Student glossary


BDE/BDS: The Bureaux des Étudiants and Bureaux des Sports are student associations found in each establishment; they bring students together for festive or sports events.

Certificat de Scolarité: You will receive a Certificat de Scolarité when you enroll in an academic establishment. Be sure to keep it in a safe place because you will be asked for it regularly to justify your status as a student.

Césure (gap year): You may take a gap year between two years of a same cycle. You must justify taking the year off (for an internship, for civil service, etc.). You cannot take a gap year to go on vacation.

ECTS credits: ECTS credits are European credits that enable greater mobility in Europe for students and that facilitate recognition of a degree.

CROUS: This entity administers scholarships, public residences and a number of university restaurants and cafeterias. It also organizes numerous cultural contests and activities throughout the year.

CVEC: The CVEC contribution is mandatory and enables funding campus life and medical centers for students.

JPO: The Journées Portes Ouvertes (Open House Days) allow high school or university students to discover an establishment or a specialty.

LMD: Licence / master’s / doctorate, abbreviated LMD.

Major / minor: The major corresponds to the primary program you follow in your course of studies. The minor is your secondary program.

Parcoursup: Parcoursup is the platform that lets you state your wishes and enroll in the first year of training.

Partiel: “Partiels” are tests given at the end of a semester to check material learned.

Rattrapage: If you fail a partiel, you can try again during “rattrapages” (catch-up exams).

Semester: The school year is divided into two semesters, from September to January and from February to May. Each semester, you follow different courses.

UE: A Unité d’Enseignement is a set of courses that cover several shared learning areas.